Bringing up puppies

Have you ever looked at a child throwing a temper tantrum in the middle of the grocery store or making a fool of their parents and think, "I'd never let my kids do that"? I'm guilty, and since I don't have kids, I can continue believing my imaginary/future children are perfect angels.

But my dog? Wow, have I been humbled. I love him, but he is out of control. I've become "that person" who's dog is bouncing off the walls when someone comes to the front door. I put him in the backyard and he's jumping on the door and howling. 

When I didn't have a fenced yard, he wanted out nonstop. And now that I have a yard, he stands at the door and whines. I've tried using a shock collar when he whines or jumps on the door, but that only works if I'm on that side of the house to hear him. I've tried waiting it out, but he goes on so long, I'm certain my neighbors already hate me. 

I take him on walks to try and burn off steam, but he fights the choke collar so much, he gags the entire time and his tongue is covered in foam by the time we get back. Where did I go wrong? 

I bought a dog obedience training dvd and Murphy chewed up the dvd case. Ironic, no? I've considered sending him to dog obedience school, but he's already cost me a small fortune. Plus I'm slightly embarrassed by his behavior and worried they'll tell me I'm a failure as a dog parent.

Don't get me wrong; I adore him and I'm still glad to have him. But it's a good thing he's cute or he'd have a new home by now.

Murphy turns a year old in a few weeks and I'm praying he starts to calm down before I lose my ever-lovin' mind. Or all my friends.

Or both.

Comments

Popular Posts