Ideas for the sunroom

Since I've moved into my house, decorating has been painstakingly slow. I have ideas for each room, but it's just taken time to collect things I love on a budget. None of my rooms are "finished", but I've made progress on all of them.

Well, all of them except the sunroom. This is the only room in my house that is visible from the front yard, so it's the first peek inside my house when someone is walking to my front door. And for the last three years it's basically served as a storage room. Nothing says welcome to my home like a pile of garage sale boxes.

The main reason I've struggled with decorating the sunroom is because I couldn't decide what purpose I wanted it to serve. At first, I'd planned to make an office out of it. But then I started thinking about whether I would actually use an office, and I don't think I would. If I need to work on my laptop, I sit at the bar or the kitchen table, and I don't see that changing, even if I had a designated office. 

So then I decided to make it a reading nook and sleeping space for extra guests. My new vision was a daybed and maybe a chair and ottoman. When I found this Victorian daybed on a trading site for a good price, I just knew it would be the perfect fit. 

I tried for months to make this work.  I styled it out and was happy with how it looked, but it wasn't a standard daybed size, it was more like a bench, so no one would want to sleep on it. And it wasn't comfortable to sit on, so I wasn't using it as a reading nook. I finally admitted that it just wasn't doing it for me and sold it fairly easily on Facebook. Sidenote, one of the reasons I like to buy used furniture at a good price is because I can play with it. If it doesn't fit, I can resale it. 

Anyways, so back to the drawing board on the sunroom. I decided to scratch the daybed idea and just look for some comfortable chairs and an ottoman. With a little patience, I finally scored these chairs for a great price. They are super comfortable and fit well in this room; I'm so glad I didn't settle on the daybed. 


Finally, everything is coming together in my head. My plan is to make this a space for reading and quiet time in the mornings. And I just bought a treadmill from a friend, so I'll also use it for a home gym on days I don't make it to the gym. 

I played around with my very limited Photoshop skills and came up with this idea board:

I've already moved the treadmill in and it takes up more space than in the picture above, which is an eyesore, but I want this room to be practical and useful. This room faces a busy street, so next on my list is curtains. And that rug? I love all of the colors it brings into this room and I've gotta have it. I saw the floral pictures at Hobby Lobby and loved them. I would like to add personal photos on that wall and Target has the perfect matted frames. I already have the gold accent table. I'm still looking for the perfect lamp and a pouf or small ottoman. 

So that's the plan! It will be interesting to see how it comes together in reality. I promise to post updates. 


Comments

Popular Posts