Ooooooh Little Rock! (Think I'm Gonna Have to Slip You Off)

One of my goals this year has been to travel more. Nothing crazy, just make the most of little weekend getaways. It's halfway through the year, and I haven't done very well with that. But on Memorial Day weekend, everything finally aligned, so I made a short trip to Little Rock with Erin.

Little Rock is only a 4 hour drive and this was my first time to visit. We got up at the crack of dawn on Saturday and headed out. We made the mistake of leaving town without grabbing coffee and it was about an hour and a half before we found a McDonald's to grab coffee. Rookie mistake. There wasn't much talking or smiling until we found coffee and pumped some caffeine in our veins.

When we got to Little Rock, we headed for Pinnacle Mountain State Park to do some hiking. Let's be clear that "mountain" is a strong word for Pinnacle. This wasn't any Colorado hiking for sure, but the trail to the summit was a good hike and the view from the top was great, even though it was overcast when we went.

I've already decided that I have to come back here in the fall. I can only imagine how gorgeous it is! After we climbed the summit, we hiked a few more trails and the sun peaked out a little.

After we left the park, I suggested that nothing would taste better than a Coke Icee and we both decided we had to have one or we would die. So we stopped at about 5 different convenient stores looking for a Coke Icee. At one store, we found a knock-off Icee, which we sampled and it was flat. It absolutely wouldn't do, so we poured it out and continued our quest. But not to worry, we found that Icee and it was all I had dreamed of. Then we checked into the hotel and relaxed for a while before we went to dinner.

Since it was Memorial Day, there were all kinds of great sales, so we had to do a little shopping before dinner. And Anthropologie and Madewell just happened to be nearby, or maybe we found a restaurant near shopping, because priorities. After we shopped, we had a little sushi and went back to the hotel and crashed.

The plan for Sunday morning was to be at the park thirty minutes before it opened so we could get in line for a kayak rental, per the park lady's instructions. But when we woke up, it was raining. So we slept in and then had a questionable breakfast at the hotel.

Since it was still raining, we had no choice but to do a little shopping. After lunch, the rain let up, so we wondered to the downtown area and ended up renting bikes for a few hours. There was a trail that went down the river and looped back around. At first, the trail took us through some pretty dodgy downtown areas and the thought did cross my mind that we could become stabbing victims mentioned on the evening news. But we survived downtown and the trail let out into some really pretty parks, and we crossed the Big Dam Bridge, which was a big dam bridge. I made it to the top of the bridge without walking my bike! Can I see some praise hands? We biked seventeen miles before we made it back to the rental place. I'm not sure how Erin felt about the biking, but I loved it and I wish we had long bike trails in Tyler. I would get so serious about biking that I'd buy those padded shorts, that's how much I love it.

What I really loved about this trip is that it was a relatively short trip, we got lots of exercise, and then we could eat out and not even feel the least bit guilty. Plus, I will never complain about shopping. Erin and I are like kindred spirits when it comes to shopping, so that's always a win with us. Only two days, but it was a fun two days and I need more of that in my life.

Next trip is going to see my sweet baby Jack in a week and a half!

Comments

Popular Posts