Summer's Pause

It's been a few weeks since I got back from vacation, so it's already starting to feel like a distant memory. My tan is fading and I'm not quite as refreshed as I was those first few days back. But vacation was good for me. Getting away and pressing pause on the daily grind always centers me and reminds me what's important.

I went with a group of girlfriends to Navarre Beach and basically did nothing but sit on the beach from morning to dusk and read books, napped and soaked up the sun. To some, that may sound boring, but to me, that's a perfect day.
It helped that I brought a great stack of books that I couldn't put down.

A few mornings, Myranda and I went for a run. We figured out on the first day that running on the actual beach was not ideal. We basically ended up waddling along the beach and emptying the sand out of our shoes.

We walked out on the Navarre Pier one morning and watched the surfers catching the waves. I love the quiet peacefulness of the beach at dawn. I wonder what it would be like to be able to walk on the beach every morning. Would I appreciate it as much? 


After four days on the beach, our skin needed a little break from the sun, so we drove to Seaside to shop and have dinner. We clearly haven't mastered selfies, but we tried. 





This restaurant had a great view with open windows looking directly out at the ocean. And it was the perfect backdrop for more selfies.

We spent an entire week at the beach and it was the rest I needed to close out my summer. As wonderful as it was, by the end of the week, I found myself missing the rythms of my day-to-day life. Maybe what I needed was a break from the routine in order to be thankful for the life I lead and the people who are in it. As fall approaches, my calendar is filling up. My hope for this season is that I'll be a good stewart of my time and seize the width and depth, the presence, of my day-to-day... until the next pause.

Comments

Popular Posts