The 29th Year

Last Sunday was my 29th birthday. Even writing it, I can barely believe that. It wasn't very long ago I didn't think life existed past 30.

The last five years or so, I've had to fight the blues every time my birthday comes around. It's the prime opportunity for a pity party. Life in my twenties has been so very different than I planned and a birthday is always a reminder to me of where my life isn't. But I was prepared to fight the birthday blues this year. I booked a birthday weekend full of people and plans.

Saturday night I had a bonfire at my mom's house and invited close friends and family. It was a peaceful, relaxing evening with special people.

Then on Sunday morning, I drove to Dallas, met up with Erin, Stef and Katie and spent the whole day shopping. I found some great stuff and we ended the night with sushi. I was glad I could celebrate the day with good friends in the same season of life.



Katie asked me what I wanted to accomplish in my 29th year and I had to think for a minute. I'd like to do a little traveling, take some continuing education classes, run another half marathon, get a puppy and lose those ever-present extra 15 pounds.

But most importantly, I hope I'm not in the same place a year from now. The past year has been a hard, but good year of change. I've always been afraid of new things, but this year I've learned that change can be good.

 I hope to embrace more of that in my next year. And lose those 15 pounds.





Comments

Popular Posts