Who Shot the Sheriff?

I'm slightly ashamed about how long I've abandoned my blog. What happened was...

I went on a cruise! And it was great and I took a million pictures. Then I came back and life was crazy busy and how could I ever recap my cruise and what pictures would I post out of the million and then I was overwhelmed with the thought, so I didn't write at all.

I'm sorry, my faithful blog reader. I pinkie swear this won't become a habit.

Now for a recap. It was a cold Sunday morning when Amanda and I hit the road for Galveston. We met up with Stef, Amanda and Emily, then luggage and all, we piled into one car to head to the port. I had no idea if a cruise would be my thing, but I knew I was getting away from everything with great friends for a week and that was good enough for me.
We  couldn't possibly cram anything else in that car.

The first day we checked out our room, went through the safety drills, found our "muster station" and all that stuff. I was dreading sharing a small room with four other people, but I was surprised how well it worked. The room was set up very efficiently. Plus, we had two bathrooms, which is the reason we can all still be friends.


 Here we are in the "bon voyage" picture we got suckered into buying. 
I was skeptical about going on a cruise because I guess the "manufactured fun" didn't appeal to me much. But if you're looking to get away for a week on an affordable vacation, a cruise really can't be beat, especially if you live near a port city. After my first cruise experience, my advice is to go with people you really enjoy spending time with and it will be a great getaway.

Don't get me wrong, a cruise offers plenty of cheesy shows and people-watching opportunities involving large crowds and buffet lines. Embrace the cheese and your cruise will be all the merrier.

Okay, back to my recap. On Monday, it was cool and windy, but we were determined to enjoy the sun. After spending the morning on the deck wrapped in my beach towel and a bath robe I'd stolen from my room, I finally gave up and headed to the buffet line.

 I've always heard food on a cruise is great, but I thought it was mediocre. However, I was not to be deterred by mediocre food because - it's a cruise! And you can eat as much as you want! And you're on vacation!

Moving on to Day Two; I'm so overwhelmed with recapping this. Tuesday was a gorgeous, sunny day. I spent the entire day soaking up the sun and reading Bossypants, a great poolside read that had me laughing out loud. That night we went to dinner in the dining hall and had a great time laughing and enjoying each other's company.

Every night, I felt sorry for people at the other tables because I don't think anyone had as much fun as we did.

Two nights on the cruise were formal night. I just wore a sun dress to dinner, but some of these people were decked out for formal night. It was a prime people watching opportunity. I thought some of the little ladies looked ready for a funeral, all dressed up, wearing their bright red lipstick and scooting around on their motorized wheelchairs. Amanda thought they looked ready for prom.


On Wednesday, we went to Jamaica. From the ship, the island looked beautiful. It was green and mountainous with little white buildings dotting the landscape.
We had scheduled a zip lining excursion that was not offered through the cruise line, so we were slightly worried about everything working out okay. But everything ran smoothly. Our driver picked us up on time and we headed up a winding dirt road with potholes the size of small cars. Once we got to the excursion site, we were fitted in harnesses and started our zip line tour.


I'd never been zip lining, but it has been on my bucket list for some time now. Let me tell you, I was not disappointed. It was an exhilarating feeling with breathtaking views and I'm so glad I did it, even if I screamed the whole way.

After that, we had lunch and made our way back into town. We had a few hours to spare, so our driver took us to a hotel situated at the highest point in Montego Bay where we got to see this amazing view.



I could have stayed here all day.

After that, we stopped at a market and browsed for a few souvenirs before getting back on the ship. Some random memories from Jamaica include laughing over every vendor at the market claiming they made their goods themselves, yet, ironically they all carried the exact same things. I also remember wishing for access to  Google so we could settle the question of whether Bob Marley did in fact shoot a sheriff.

Did I mention the day we went to Jamaica was Halloween? Oh yes it was, and we rocked our Halloween costumes for dinner.


Like I said, on a cruise, embrace the cheese and you'll have so much more fun. We spent the night going around to all the photo booths and taking awkward photos.Sorry for the quality. This little gem is a picture of  a picture.

I'm considering starting a website: awkwardcruisephotos.com. I can't believe someone hasn't thought of this already!

This is a scanned picture so the quality is poor, but it pretty much sums up my favorite memory from the entire cruise. Feast your eyes on this!

Without a doubt, this was the funniest, weirdest Halloween I've ever had.

Well, I'd planned to recap the whole trip in one post, but I've written an entire book and I'm only on Wednesday, so the rest will have to wait. I know the suspense will be painful.

Comments

Popular Posts