A Tale of Two Cakes

Well, I completed the cakes and they didn't make it on cakewrecks.com so I'd consider them a success.

Last week was completely crazy. My friend Katie, who lives in Dallas, came to Tyler to attend a memorial and funeral services for a close friend of hers. She stayed with me for the week and I was so glad to have her, although I wish it was under different circumstances for her.

Katie got to witness some of the crazy that goes into preparing a 4-tiered and 3-tiered cake in a small kitchen. There are 2 cake layers to each tier, so I baked 14 cakes in my tiny kitchen. I didn't have a square inch of counter space left when I finished baking. And poor Erin, I'm surprised I still have a roommate!

After baking all week, Friday night was when it all came together. This was when I would find out if I had a disaster on my hands. Although it was stressful, I pulled it all off and made it to bed around 1 that morning.

On Saturday, we loaded the cakes up and headed to the wedding venue. The 3-tiered groom's cake traveled fine. The 4-tiered wedding cake? I was praying the whole time because it swayed the entire 45 minute drive. I now know to never assemble a 4-tiered cake or taller until I get to the venue, assuming I ever attempt a wedding cake again. But the cake did make it in one piece and Sarah Jane, the bride, was thrilled.

And now for the finished products:
The chocolate was actually the bride's cake and the white was the groom's cake - exactly what they wanted. I know the chocolate cake looks like it's leaning in this picture, but I promise it wasn't.


Although it was stressful, I enjoyed getting back into baking. I think I'll try and make more time for that.

Anyway, since the cakes are behind me, I've been busy, but nothing too exciting. I'll check back soon.

Comments

Popular Posts