Searching for joy


I’ve tried to have a positive attitude, but there have been times I’ve felt sorry for myself during this transition in my living situation and the inconveniences it has caused in my daily routine. This week, my friend Sarah was in town and we got to spend a few hours together, catching up on life, and she made me realize I have some work to do on my attitude.

What I have loved about Sarah since I first met her is how she has a way of cutting through the fluff in conversation and getting right to the heart of whatever is going on in your life. When she asks how you are, a simple "fine" will never do. She really wants to know how you're doing.She’s one of the most intentional people I have ever met and many love her because of the way she has pursued their friendship.

Sarah’s a very strong person, but almost two years ago, that strength was tested when she suffered a stroke. Since then, she’s made amazing progress in her recovery, but in many areas has had to surrender independence. After the stroke, she’s dealt with unemployment, loss of healthcare, relocation, debilitating headaches, seizures and temporary loss of driving privileges. Simple tasks most people take for granted, she's had to relearn or find a new way to do them. 

Sarah's honest that she struggles with accepting her circumstances and isn't always joyful. But every morning she gets up, faces another day, and finds purpose for this season. She chooses to see her stroke as a gift God gave her, to show that God can still use her. She's always figuring out what she can do and what new gifts she has to offer.  

I never hear her feel sorry for herself or ask "why me". Many times I've heard her say "why not me". She lives her life surrendered. I want to be like that.  

The real heroes are the ones who never stop looking for the possibility of joy.

I read that line somewhere this week and I can’t stop thinking about it. There is always the possibility for joy, we just have to choose to see it.  




I’m privileged to know a real hero.


Comments

Popular Posts