The pumpkin and the fair

I'm writing this at 10:30 at night and I'm really done with this day. Regardless, I'll try to write a coherent recap of my weekend.

I've had this little beauty pinned on my fall Pinterest board that I really wanted to attempt.



So on Friday night, I invited my friend Sarah over to paint pumpkins with me. It turned out to be really fun and much easier than carving pumpkins. My sad little iPhone picture is not Pinterest worthy, but I think my pumpkin turned out pretty cute!




It's definitely imperfect, but I'm happy with it. I did everything according to the tutorial I've linked above, except I used a real pumpkin. I also cut my letter out and traced it on the pumpkin because graphite paper was $17 and hello, I'm not spending that much money on a pumpkin. I think tracing it worked fine, although I think some sort of stencil would work great too, because my lines aren't as precise as I would like.

On Saturday, I went to the State Fair with my Dad. I haven't been since I was a kid and I thought it would be a good chance to spend some time with him. We had a good time, but I have to say, I was a little disappointed with the fair.

For starters, I was unaware the TX/OU game was happening on the same day. So when Longhorn fans made their mass exodus from the Cotton Bowl at half time, the fair was super crowded. Like, more crowded than Canton, which I didn't think was possible. I thought there would be more exhibits and performances, but there really wasn't much to see. I did like the auto show. It was nice to look at all the newest models of cars without a car salesman breathing down your neck.

And you can't go to the State Fair without riding the ferris wheel, so we did that and lived to tell about it. Normally, I'm not afraid of heights. I've stood at the top of the Empire State Building and loved it. I've gone parasailing and was only frightened in a thrilled kind of way. But when we got on the ferris wheel, it started to rain and the wind was getting strong. It wasn't the ideal time to be dangling atop a huge ferris wheel and I was slightly terrified.

Here's the picture I managed to open my eyes long enough to take. 

I know my photography skills need work, but we were dangling at the top, rocking with the wind when I took this.

The only fried food I tried was a Mexican Fire Cracker. It tasted kind of like a deep fried tamale. It was okay, but I think maybe I should have tried the fried sugar cubes instead. Or fried frito pie?

So my rating of the fair is that I'm glad I went, but probably won't go again for a long time.

I would tell you about Sunday, but I'm tired and I didn't really do anything on Sunday. I couldn't handle too much fun in one weekend!

Comments

Popular Posts